11/14/2010

Saturday Night in the City


 
"  Once you pass the velvet ropes, your wildest dreams come true. The dance floor smoke, a bump of coke and everything taboo."

"The Wedding Singer"   has been one of my favorite Broadway musicals. Besides the fact that I love the original movie starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, the musical features unbelievably upbeat songs which I love considering my favorite musicals are Legally Blonde, Hairspray, Xanadu, Avenue Q, etc-- those musicals that'd make you stand up and jive with its songs. And it's so hard to watch "The Wedding Singer" without the urge to dance onstage. I could just imagine myself interrupting the show because I danced to the 80s on stage. Also, I warned myself not to sing-along, which I always fail to do. 

The leads include the super talented Gian Magdangal as Robbie Hart, who tended to point at me during his lines at some point of the show. All I did was smile, because of all the insults I got from him. Haha! Iya Villania as Julia Sullivan, who has a very, very sweet voice. I could see her as Elle Woods-- Atlantis, why didn't you consider her? Iya belongs to the stage and she needs to do more shows. Impressive.

Nikki Valdez as Holly isn't powerful enough. Holly should be very liberated-- well, yes, Nikki's take on the role is liberated but it's not enough. She didn't push to her limitations. Lorenz Martinez as Sammy is cool, especially the speaking voice. And "the" Johann Dela Fuente as George. I completely agree on what's written about him in the programme "Someone should call the editors of the Oxford English Dictionary that the word 'Performer' has a new definition: Johann Dela Fuente." I'm easily amused by this performer, his take on George is kind of different-- and I love it. Even when he played multiple roles in "Rent" I love him already. Glen Guglia is played by Jeremy Aguado-- and yes, this is the Richard H. Blake role. I didn't like his take on the role it seems very classical, "Chicago-ish", I must say. This is probably a mis-cast. 

The ensemble is incredible, too. Their energy stretches the numerous boxes on stage. (Which I didn't like. The boxes, I mean.) And considering that some of them are covering roles when I watched the show. Peachy Atilano covered Cyndi Lauper to cover Mian Dimacali-- And damn, she's a good on-the-spot impressionist. I am also shocked that Jonjon Martin played Imelda Marcos-- it's hella funny.

The show was great and all in terms of the material. The scenography is flawless and smooth. But something in the staging is lacking. I guess it's commitment that they lack. Commitment to the role, commitment to the musical, commitment to the audience.

I just want to add that 9 Works Theatrical's shows should always start on time. Atlantis always starts on time. I mean no comparison but I'm just used to watch shows on time. I've been there an hour ahead only to know that I'll be waiting for another 30 minutes? I also experienced this when I watched "Rent", really disappointing. House isn't full yet? How about Cats, or Atlantis's "A Little Night Music" perhaps? I want the show to start on time when I watch the "Rent" re-runs.

 Also, their souvenir programme is gorgeous. The P300 is all worth it. It's not just a programme, but also a magazine in a way. And I was happy scanning it before the show, only to find out that almost half of the programme is just advertisements. Not really mad about it but it's "bitin". 

It's impressive how way cheaper their tickets are. I remember watching "Rent" paying P1,500 (not sure) and I just got a seat in the loge section. But now, P1,300, orchestra center!

I love the letterman jackets the ushers/staffs are wearing. I just hoped you sell them, but no. Haha!
"Love will always find you."

post signature

3 comments:

  1. I didn't get this ching, care to elaborate hahaha:

    "But something in the staging is lacking. I guess it's commitment that they lack. Commitment to the role, commitment to the musical, commitment to the audience."

    Just saw the final show. And its a blast. Full powered na. Wala nang tipid tipid ng Energy. On my side, I liked Niki's performance. Even her alternate Analin Bantug. Holly is my favorite character and I'm in love with her :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing is, the actors couldn't make me believe that they were doing their role, well, compared from other musicals I saw. They need to feel the character more, I guess. The best thing about this musical is Johann Dela Fuente.

    About Nikki, she really lacks the free side of Holly and she didn't get to use it. But she's pretty ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. regarding Holly's character. Maybe because the problem is in the material itself. Nasayangan din ako sa character ni Sammy. Could have been a great character but he is poorly written on the show.

    And yup I agree, Johann did steal the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete